Some scripts have a restricted syntaxe when used in IDNs. For example, you can't mixe Latin characters (LTR in fact) and some scripts (RTL in fact) in the same label, or have a number at the beginning/end of RTL labels.Browser's answer when clicking on invalid IDN:
- Firefox2.0: "Server not found. Firefox can't find the server at المغxرب.museum."
- Camino1.0 (better?): "Address Not Found .museum could not be found. Please check the name and try again."
- Mozilla1.5 (better?): Follows the link normally. It's the .museum registry which display the the address is not in use. (%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%85%D8%BAx%D8%B1%D8%A8.museum is not in use)
- Safari2.0: No reaction on click !? (Note: this might warn user that something went wrong)
- Opera9.0 :-): The right message error (shame on the ohers): Invalid URL. "Contains invalid or misplaced characters."
Note: Safari is even stranger : It displays " http://2CIBARA.museum" as
in the main window, whereas it is fine with the status bar on mouse over.?